A key part of keeping your yard in the best shape year round is having a reliable, quality tree service company to ensure your trees remain healthy. But how do you know which tree service companies are reputable and safe? Hometown Tree Experts are here with tips on choosing a quality company for all of your tree service needs.
5 questions to ask when searching for a reputable tree service company
You want to be able to depend on your tree service company to take the best possible care when it comes to the trees in your yard. Here are some questions to ask yourself before you decide:
- Are they licensed and insured?
One of the first things you should ask a tree service company is if they’re insured. You’ll want to verify that the company has the appropriate liability and workers compensation insurance, and it’s perfectly reasonable to ask for a copy of the certificates of insurance. It’s critical that the tree service company you choose is insured – if they’re not and an accident occurs on your property, you could be held liable and your homeowner’s insurance isn’t enough to protect you.
- Are they following the proper process?
Do you need to have special permits with your city or county for tree removal, trimming, or addition? Your tree service company should know about it and be able to answer any questions you have. If you do need permits to move forward, the tree service company should be able to pull them for you. Don’t skip this step – it could result in costly fines on your end.
- Will they give you a quote in writing?
You’re entitled to ask for a quote in writing, and any quality tree service should provide you with one if you ask for it. If they refuse, it’s a red flag and you should consider working with another reputable company that will provide you a quote in writing before they start working.
- Are they too expensive or conversely, too cheap?
When you get your quote, it’s reasonable to get a few others and compare them. If the tree service company in question seems to be greatly overcharging you, move on. Conversely, if the price is a lot lower than other companies in your area, you should question why. Remember – if it’s too good to be true, it probably is. Extremely low prices can lead to cut corners, low-quality work, and more money spent in the future to fix issues with your trees.
- How many years have they been in business and what’s their reputation?
A quality tree service company with multiple years of business under their belt is a good sign. Quality work, reliability, and appropriate pricing are necessary to help a business thrive in a community – if your tree service company is established in your local area, you can assume that they’ll likely provide you with excellent service. Additionally, you can go online to check reviews and even check with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) if you have doubts regarding reputation.
What to look out for when finding a tree service company
And here are a few more things to keep in mind when you’re searching for a quality tree service company.
- Ask about a contract. On top of your written quote, ask for a contract regarding the scope of the work and the expected results.
- Be safe when making deposits and payments. A quality tree service company should accept credit card or check payments for extra security, and shouldn’t ask for full payment up front.
- Be especially careful after a natural disaster. When a hurricane, storm, etc. rolls through your area, door-to-door contractors will be out in droves looking for business… and likely overcharging for it. If you need a large project completed by a tree service company, you should look for an established local company.
Schedule your tree service appointment with Hometown Tree Experts today
If you’re on the hunt for a quality tree service company, look no further. Contact Hometown Tree Experts today and let us get your yard into the best shape possible.